Tuesday, December 30, 2014

The 30 Day Learning Challenge

Martha Graham
“I believe that we learn by practice. Whether it means to learn to dance by practicing dancing or to learn to live by practicing living, the principles are the same. In each, it is the performance of a dedicated precise set of acts, physical or intellectual, from which comes shape of achievement, a sense of one's being, a satisfaction of spirit. One becomes, in some area, an athlete of God. Practice means to perform, over and over again in the face of all obstacles, some act of vision, of faith, of desire. Practice is a means of inviting the perfection desired.”
― Martha Graham
Sadly I have not been able to spend much time writing code, which I really enjoy.  I am working with people who code, reading their code, specifying requirements and on rare occasions doing code walk throughs.  
So I have decided to take it upon myself to "practice" coding everyday for the next 30 days.  My initial thoughts were to practice coding in EtoysJS or  lively-web and perhaps I will get there at some point.  But the pressures of work push me towards AngularJS at the moment so I will start there. That said I also intend to use this not just to practice programming but to explore other topics of interest such as how to teach programming.

Johann Sebastian Bach
“What I have achieved by industry and practice, anyone else with tolerable natural gift and ability can also achieve.”
― Johann Sebastian Bach

Aristotle
“For the things we have to learn before we can do them, we learn by doing them.”
― Aristotle, The Nicomachean Ethics




No comments: