Monday, January 12, 2015

Days 8-9 - 30 Day Learning Challenge

Well figuring this is a Learning Challenge I signed up for the Coursera course: Learning How to Learn: Powerful mental tools to help you master tough subjects.  Unfortunately I just got back late this afternoon and the first quiz was due this week.  Fortunately I was able to watch all the videos and pass the quiz.  That said I violated one of the principles which is "not to cram" but to do spaced repetitions.  So I will try and go back over the week and review what they taught.

I also completed CodeSchool's Discover Dev Tools course during the train ride from Florida to Lorton VA.  I took this as I figured having tools to help me debug and analyze my Javascript/HTML/CSS would be useful for the Angular work.  Couple of learning design issues I noticed.  While the course wasn't that old, some of the Chrome Dev Tools had changed so the video and challenges did not always match the current version.  That is part of the challenge of designing learning materials for something that is evolving and doesn't maintain backward compatibility.   You need to continuously update your learning materials.  That is one thing I appreciate about Etoys and the community of developers.  There strong commitment to ensuring things don't break.   I once got a fraction project from Alan that was 10+ years old and it still ran on a new machine in the latest version of Etoys (which wasn't even called Etoys at the time).

Cheers,
Stephen

No comments: